Sunday, May 19, 2013

Meaning of the Name Jared

I was watching a TV show and they were talking about the meaning of their names and it got me wondering. My parent's never told me anything about the meaning of my name, except that my dad had known some kid that he met at a pizza place that was named Jared or something like that. It makes sense because I love pizza now - its one of my favorite foods and I love pizzerias. In fact I would love to own and operate a pizzeria in the future, its one of my future goals. I would love to be able to have a great slice of pie whenever I feel like it. My city doesn't have any great pizza places, so I would love to be able to show the people of my town what they are missing.

Anyways, I looked up what my name means and here is what I found out: My name is a variant of the Hebrew name Yared. In the Biblical Book of Genesis, Jared was the sixth link between Adam and Noah; he was the son of Mahalaleel and the father of Enoch. He also lived 962 years. Another spelling is Yared who is the grandfather of Methuselah. My name could also be a variant of the name Yered which is another name for Moses. But what I wanted to know was the meaning of my name. Apparently Jared means "To descend", "descendant", "he who descended", or even "he who shall rule". In the Book of Enoch it is explained that Mahalaleel named Jared because during his lifetime the angels of the Lord descended to earth. I guess I'm the descendant of someone or something. Of whom I am not sure, but maybe in the future it will make more sense to me. Or perhaps angels are going to descend in my lifetime or something like that. Or maybe I am supposed to be a ruler of something in the future. Hmm, that sounds interesting... I like the last one the best. Being a ruler doesn't sound too bad to me.

I got the info from this site: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jared and this page on wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jared.





No comments:

Post a Comment